Every year, our congregation shows its generosity to our community through its High Holiday collection. This year, we will be collecting items for both Jewish and other community organizations. Please use this opportunity to Maire Kondo (i.e., clear out some of your extras) your cupboards and closets and add a few items to your next grocery order.
Here is what we’ll be collecting:
- Non-perishable Food for the JCFS (Jewish Child and Family Service) food pantry
- Gently used warm clothes and shoes/boots for Main Street Project
- Toiletries for Deer Lodge Seniors who have no one to shop for them
- Gently used linens (towels, sheets and blankets) for “Sleep in Heavenly Peace” who build beds for children without them
- SMALL, gently used household items (dishes, pots and pans, etc). NO FURNITURE for refugees arriving from Afghanistan and Ukraine.
The Lunch Project:
Each month, a group of volunteers make lunches for One Just City located at West Broadway Community Ministry. We usually have 110 -120 lunches with sandwiches, veggies, fruit, cookies or muffins and granola bars. We have also sent cases of water in the summer and occasionally included bags of chips.
Some volunteers , not always those who pack the lunches provide the food… some make the sandwiches, some bake, others bring the various veggies which the packing volunteers put in baggies and some donate money to our Social Action fund which allows us to purchase the various supplies we need. This project is one of our temple’s Tikkun Olam strategies which helps to fulfill the commandment to feed the hungry.